Top Tips for Keeping Fruit and Veggies Fresh
In Australia alone, over 5 million tonnes of food ends up in landfill every year. That is roughly 145kg per person! Food waste is a big problem for the earth because spoiling food that ends up in landfill produces methane, a greenhouse gas that is 28 times more potent than carbon monoxide.
Careful storage of fresh fruits and veggies can have a significant impact on reducing our food waste. At Urban Revolution we stock a wide range of food storage solutions including silicone covers, Agreena wraps and beeswax wraps.
Agreena wraps are great for sandwiches
We love the Swag food storage products because they provide a reusable, machine washable storage solution for a range of fresh fruits and vegetables. The Swag reusable produce storage bags are ethically made from 100% unbleached cotton that is non toxic and chemical free. They are 100% sustainable and compostable (apart from the care label).
The Lunch Swag in use
For best results, follow these top tips for using The Swag food storage bags:
1. Wash before use following care label instructions.
2. For general use, dampen clean, dry Swags from the outside and wring out all excess water. Place fruit, veggies and leafy greens inside The Swag. and place in the crisper of your fridge.
3. Once in use, wash your Swag every two weeks following care label instructions.
4. For best results, cut away any dead/dying end parts of your fruit and veggies.
5. Its a good idea to wash fresh produce and pat dry before placing into a Swag.
6. When you feel your Swags are starting to dry up, sprinkle with water from the outside to replace moisture.
7. To get the best out of your Swags, after every third or fourth wash, sprinkle wet Swags with white vinegar and put on an extra rinse cycle. Vinegar removes soap residue and is a natural sanitiser. Dry out in full sun.
Remove from plastic packaging ASAP and place into a completely clean and dry Swag in the crisper. DO NOT wet the Swag.
Storing Potatoes and Onions
Put potatoes and onions into a dry Swag and place in the cupboard or pantry. DO NOT put in the fridge.
Take corn out of the husk and place into a slightly damp Swag in the crisper.
Storing Spinach and Lettuce
Rinse thoroughly and put into a dry, small Swag. Ensure it is secure then go outside and swing the Swag around to get rid of the excess water. Place this Swag on top of all your other Swags so it doesn't get squashed.