Plant Feature: Chilli and Capsicum
Capsicums and chillies are easy to grow and a healthy bush can produce bountiful harvests every year! Enjoy this guide and our top tips for growing abundant capsicums and chillies.
Types of capsicums
- Capsicum annuum: most common types including jalapenos, bell peppers, paprika, cayenne and chilli peppers
- Capsicum chinense: hotter species of chillies
- Capsicum frutescens: smaller fruits including tabasco and Thai peppers
How to grow abundant chillies and capsicums
- Grow during warm weather (January is the last month for sowing capsicum seeds in Perth).
- Plant in a sunny but sheltered position (they don't like the wind!) This can be in the ground or in a pot.
- If you choose a good spot, you can grow as a perennial year-round! Just make sure the plant doesn't get cold or wind/rain/frost battered in Winter.
- Use high-quality free-draining garden soil or potting mix.
- Keep the growing plant moist but not wet. Avoid saucers on pots.
- Feed with organic liquid fertiliser once per week (or slow release fertiliser).
- Prune the bush back after fruiting is finished.